Subject: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 20:39:05 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Can the issue from Bug#71264 as well happen for file operations other
>> > than deletion?
>>
>> Could be.  One would need to look at each command.  Basically, the issue
>> of the two bugs can occur when auto-revert may happen which is when
>> Emacs is waiting for a process to finish (like in this bug) or when
>> waiting for user-input (like the confirmation prompt in bug#71264).
>
> We could try to catch more of these situations programmatically.  We
> could, for example, change `dired-buffer-stale-p' to return non-nil
> when the selected window is an active minibuffer window and
> `minibuffer-selected-window' is a window displaying the buffer which
> is queried to be auto-reverted.  With other words: avoid auto revert
> whenever the user is currently in a prompt from a command started in a
> dired buffer.
>
> Would something like that make sense?

Maybe make sense but it doesn't work.  I tried with dired-do-compress
and many marked files.  That will first create a *Marked Files* buffer,
show that as a new bottom window, and then invoke the prompting function
like yes-or-no-p.  I.e., (minibuffer-selected-window) is the window
showing the *Marked Files* buffer, not the original dired buffer.

Bye,
Tassilo