Subject: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 02:07:38 +0100

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Can the issue from Bug#71264 as well happen for file operations other
> > than deletion?
>
> Could be.  One would need to look at each command.  Basically, the issue
> of the two bugs can occur when auto-revert may happen which is when
> Emacs is waiting for a process to finish (like in this bug) or when
> waiting for user-input (like the confirmation prompt in bug#71264).

We could try to catch more of these situations programmatically.  We
could, for example, change `dired-buffer-stale-p' to return non-nil
when the selected window is an active minibuffer window and
`minibuffer-selected-window' is a window displaying the buffer which is
queried to be auto-reverted.  With other words: avoid auto revert
whenever the user is currently in a prompt from a command started in a
dired buffer.

Would something like that make sense?

Michael.