Subject: Re: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 10:04:03 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > So i would rather consider to rename the variable
>> > `buffer-stale-function' for the discoverability - or just leave
>> > things as they are.
>>
>> We cannot rename it.
>
> Then I would prefer to keep the fix we have.

Ok, let's make a decision then.  The two options on the table are:

1. Just keep the dired-specific dired--inhibit-auto-revert as it's
   committed now (+ use that to fix bug#71264 properly, too).

2. Use the more general inhibit-auto-revert patch I've posted here.

I lean towards option 1 simply because my gut feeling says that the
dired issue is probably a historical accident, i.e., its workings have
been implemented long before auto-revert was a thing.  If one were to
implement something similar today (like ops on processes in proced), one
would not use an approach navigating lines in the buffer.  Even most
dired commands don't or just do to collect the list of files to act on
initially.

Bye,
Tassilo