Subject: bug#75626: Re: bug#75626: 31.0.50; Dired misses or double-processes files when auto-revert-mode is enabled

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 08:26:15 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yes.  Because the only way this macro can work predictably and
>> reliably is if it works on a snapshot of the directory's state.  It
>> cannot allow changed in the files that its body did not cause and
>> does not know about.
>
> Again, it's not about changes in the files.  The
> macro carries out an action on the marked _lines_.
> Not the same thing as acting on the files marked
> on those lines.

But the marked _lines_ can also jump around/change their order due to
auto-revert.  And the changes causing it might be made by other
processes, not our dired operation.  Please give one concrete example
where that would be desired?  It's like arguing that a inhibiting a
periodic shuffle-lines during keyboard macro execution would constrain
the generality of keyboard macros.

Bye,
Tassilo