Subject: bug#7560: 24.0.50; 'bzr status' blocking making of GNU Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:21:07 -0500

> Then I'd ask what the point of having any of that enabled when
> building Emacs is. It cannot do anything useful, only slow the build
> down; so why not eg bind vc-handled-backends to nil in
> batch-byte-compile.

If something is annoying during a build, chances are it will also be
annoying in other circumstances, so rather than temporarily disabling
it to work around the problem, we'd rather make it work right.

> I replaced my `bzr' with the following shell-script:

>   #!/bin/sh
>   echo "$@" >> /tmp/LOG
>   exec real-bzr "$@"

> It was not called at any point during a `make bootstrap', nor by
> `touch lisp/*.el; make'.

> So I have no idea how the OP got into whatever state he's in.

Note that vc-bzr.el has its own implementation of a subset of "bzr
status" and it falls back on "bzr status" in some cases not covered by
its own code.  So it might be that the built-in code works fine for your
situation but not for the OP's.

        Stefan