Subject: bug#756: longlines-mode with longlines-wrap-follows-window-size doesn't work right

From: "Stephen Marsh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:09:06 -0400

When I turn on longlines-mode, sometimes the text doesn't wrap
correctly, the lines are a little too short and don't come to the edge
of the window. I have

(setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)

in my .emacs so longlines should wrap to the window size.

The text stays messed up even after editing. However, the simple act
of M-x RET (which should be a noop) causes the wrapping to start to
work correctly, wrapping out to the edge of the window.

I looked in longlines.el a little, and
longlines-wrap-follows-window-size seems to make longlines use (-
(window-width) window-min-width) instead of fill-column. Adding

(setq window-min-width 1)

Makes the problem go away, but I don't think this is the right way to
fix it. I couldn't figure out why longlines uses window-min-width at
all or why M-x RET is able to cause changes.

This is with GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-pc-freebsd, GTK+ Version 2.12.1)

Also, the Bugs and Problems link in the manual
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Bugs.html)
is broken:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Bugs-and-problems.html#Bugs-and-problems

Thanks
Stephen