Subject: 30.0.92; Inconsistency in Function Naming: *-open-file vs. *-find-file

From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 13:29:44 -0500

Hello Emacs Maintainers,

I noticed an inconsistency in the naming conventions of certain Emacs
functions that I find confusing.  Specifically, some functions use
*-open-file(s), while others use *-find-file.

Functions such as eww-open-file and recentf-open-files use 'open-file'
or 'open-files' in their naming.  In contrast, many other functions,
including dired-find-file, find-file, project-find-file, and
ido-find-file, use the 'find-file' format.

I am curious about the rationale behind this difference.  Is there
a specific reason that some functions prefer 'open-file' over
'find-file' even though they seem to perform similar actions?

Thank you for your time!

* * *
In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash --prefix=/gnu/store/ml6xyl3py6hqfdps2sypdi7s212y7k02-emacs-next-30.0.92-0.881d593 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

--
Regards,
Anush