Subject: Re: bug#75585: 30.0.92; eww does not use proper file names for downloaded webpages

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 17:39:33 +0200

> From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 09:57:25 -0500
> 
> Hello Maintainers,
> 
> I believe eww is not using proper names for downloaded webpages.
> 
> Expected Behavior: Downloaded webpages should have a filename
> reflecting the full url with an .html extension.

That's not what eww-download does.  It downloads the pages to the
directory specified by eww-download-directory, by default
"~/Downloads".

> 1. When I download the page https://www.gnu.org/, eww downloads the
> file without an .html extension, naming it simply as !.

This page has no name.  We invent some name, in this case "!".  Apart
of documenting this, why is that a problem?

> 2. When I download https://www.gnu.org/home.html, eww names the file
> 'home.html'. While the extension is correct, shouldn't the filename
> reflect the full URL to avoid conflicts when downloading 'home.html'
> from different sites?

eww-download detects conflicts and makes the downloaded name unique,
see eww-make-unique-file-name.  This seems to be a deliberate design
decision, and I can't say it sounds wrong to me.

So, given that we augment the documentation to make these aspects
clear, do you still think there's a bug here?