Subject: bug#75585: 30.0.92; eww does not use proper file names for downloaded webpages

From: Anush V <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 09:57:25 -0500

Hello Maintainers,

I believe eww is not using proper names for downloaded webpages.

Expected Behavior: Downloaded webpages should have a filename
reflecting the full url with an .html extension.

Observed Bug:

1. When I download the page https://www.gnu.org/, eww downloads the
file without an .html extension, naming it simply as !.

2. When I download https://www.gnu.org/home.html, eww names the file
'home.html'. While the extension is correct, shouldn't the filename
reflect the full URL to avoid conflicts when downloading 'home.html'
from different sites?

Steps to Reproduce:

1. emacs --no-init
2. M-x eww
3. https://www.gnu.org/   ;; eww prompt
4. d                      ;; Downloads file !
5. G
6. https://www.gnu.org/home.html ;; eww prompt
7. d                      ;; Downloads file home.html

Please let me know if my expectation regarding the filename &
extension is incorrect.

Thank you for your time and attention.

* * *
In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/6nqyia3ra10sgd1ppzk2047ncbzjwhff-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash --prefix=/gnu/store/ml6xyl3py6hqfdps2sypdi7s212y7k02-emacs-next-30.0.92-0.881d593 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

--
Regards,
Anush V