Subject: bug#75569: closed (Re: bug#75569: 30.0.93; Large /proc/* file are read incompletely)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 11:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75569: 30.0.93; Large /proc/* file are read incompletely

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75569: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75569
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75569: 30.0.93; Large /proc/* file are read incompletely
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 13:40:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 20:56:57 +0200
> 
> >> Actually... are you sure these changes fixed the problem?  I've
> >> installed one of them, and /proc/kallsyms is not read in its entirety.
> >> Which file did you try this with, and what is its real size?
> 
> I remember that both fixed the problem on /proc/kallsyms that is almost 18 MB.
> 
> > I've now installed a followup fix, please test.
> 
> I confirm that the installed change fixes the problem.

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 30.0.93; Large /proc/* file are read incompletely
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 01:21:03 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When opening a large file in /proc/* like /proc/cpuinfo in Emacs via
find-file, the buffer content is incomplete, when comparing the output
to the output produced by /bin/cat. The Eshell command eshell/cat has
the same problem.The proc file system doesn't report file sizes since
the files are dynamically generated. ls -l /proc/cpuinfo reports size 0.
Emacs doesn't handle this well, limiting its reads to 16KiB.

In Eshell:

cat /proc/cpuinfo > #<buffer bug>  ==> truncated buffer (exactly 16KiB)
*cat /proc/cpuinfo > #<buffer bug> ==> complete buffer (larger than 16KiB)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.93 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.2, Xaw scroll bars) of 2025-01-14
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-dbus
 --without-selinux --without-threads --without-gsettings --without-gpm
 --with-cairo --with-cairo-xcb --disable-gc-mark-trace --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD
LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix