Subject: bug#7556: 24.0.50; visiting an EPS file with preview TIFF image and with one long line

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 22:59:29 +0100

Hello!

I have an EPS file created by Adobe Illustrator 15 with a "DOS EPS  
Binary File Header" according to 5002.EPSF_Spec and a TIFF preview at  
the end, in mac-roman-mac encoding. Size: 643 KB. When I visit that  
file from a dired buffer in PostScript DocView View mode and scroll  
down near the end of the PostScript section where the TIFF preview  
starts, it happens that GNU Emacs becomes inoperable for seven hours  
while consuming all remaining CPU power. The first line of the TIFF  
section, starting with II*, is approximately 314,899 characters  long  
(GNU Emacs is a bad tool, it counts ASCII NUL ^@ as two columns).  
Rendering this in a window of 55 lines and around 120 columns takes  
these 7 h. And more: GNU Emacs creates a #file.eps# backup file,  
larger in size (50 %) than the original file. Is that the expected  
behaviour?

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2010-11-13 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10902901
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include' '--with- 
imagemagick' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H - 
pipe -fPIC -fno-common -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec -fast'  
'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -idirafter /sw/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/ 
local/lib -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/xft2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Calendar

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Greetings

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs