Subject: bug#75553: closed (Re: bug#75553: 31.0.50; custom-load-symbol should respect message verbosity)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 12:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75553: 31.0.50; custom-load-symbol should respect message verbosity

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75553: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75553
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75553: 31.0.50; custom-load-symbol should respect message verbosity
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 14:01:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 19:45:40 +0300
> 
> On Tue, 2025-01-14 at 17:12 +0100, Johann Höchtl wrote:
> > It doesn't print Loading when I use-package but when demanded through
> > customize. That is not orthogonal.
> 
> Right, but unless I'm missing something your comment doesn't contradict
> to what I said. These are still messages that only appear during
> startup.
> 
> > Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]> schrieb am Di., 14. Jän.
> > 2025, 17:10:
> > > On Tue, 2025-01-14 at 16:26 +0100, Johann Höchtl wrote:
> > > > It's not important in the sense as it does not impair daily work.
> > > > It
> > > > is more the appearance of a tool spilling debug information which
> > > > gives a somewhat unprofessional look. That's about it.
> > > 
> > > Well, typically the "Loading" messages may only appear during Emacs
> > > start-up (do they not for you?). It seems rational to me that when
> > > an
> > > application starting up it may print its current loading status.

No further comments, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; custom-load-symbol should respect message verbosity
From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 08:14:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I find the load messages during startup, caused by (custom-load-symbol
'foo) disturbing.

That is caused by the fact that the API of custom-load-symbaol has no means
to respect the setting of force-load-messages when loading a library.

Please do note, that this analysis has been made by and is described in
more detail in

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/82904/disable-echo-area-during-startup/82924#82924

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2025-01-02 built
 on fv-az1495-740
Repository revision: 299a1fbef886dba654f58a0c55b373f8b43d383b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.19045.5247)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/d/a/emacs-build/emacs-build/pkg/299a1fb-ucrt-x86_64
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-semantic-interposition -floop-parallelize-all
 -ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -g3 ' --disable-build-details --without-dbus
 --enable-link-time-optimization --enable-build-details
 --with-compress-install --with-small-ja-dic --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-lcms2 --with-mps
 --with-native-compilation --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-zlib --without-cairo --without-tiff'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES MPS NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Markdown

Minor modes in effect:
  corfu-terminal-mode: t
  visual-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  word-wrap-whitespace-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  bar-cursor-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/HoechtlJ/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20250108.1351/transient
hides
c:/Users/HoechtlJ/AppData/Local/Emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color comp-run
comp-common emacsbug message puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils display-line-numbers
display-fill-column-indicator yasnippet hideshow vc-git diff-mode
track-changes files-x vc-dispatcher time-date corfu-terminal popon
visual-wrap word-wrap-mode flyspell ispell yank-media markdown-mode
edit-indirect rx color thingatpt noutline outline deeper-blue-theme
winner windmove savehist saveplace recentf tree-widget wid-edit
pixel-scroll cua-base ring marginalia autorevert filenotify icomplete
desktop frameset delsel bar-cursor cus-load corfu edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode orderless compat cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
bar-cursor-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
d2-mode-autoloads dape-autoloads dired-sidebar-autoloads
dired-subtree-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads go-mode-autoloads hideshowvis-autoloads
impatient-showdown-autoloads impatient-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
indent-bars-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase magit-section-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads mini-modeline-autoloads
dash-autoloads olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads popon-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads transient-autoloads vundo-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url xdg url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel touch-screen dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile mps
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 24 0 0) (symbols 56 0 0) (strings 40 0 0) (string-bytes 1 0)
 (vectors 24 0) (vector-slots 8 0 0) (floats 24 0 0)
 (intervals 64 0 0) (buffers 1000 0))