Subject: bug#75553: 31.0.50; custom-load-symbol should respect message verbosity

From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 08:14:08 +0100

I find the load messages during startup, caused by (custom-load-symbol
'foo) disturbing.

That is caused by the fact that the API of custom-load-symbaol has no means
to respect the setting of force-load-messages when loading a library.

Please do note, that this analysis has been made by and is described in
more detail in

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/82904/disable-echo-area-during-startup/82924#82924

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2025-01-02 built
 on fv-az1495-740
Repository revision: 299a1fbef886dba654f58a0c55b373f8b43d383b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (v10.0.2009.19045.5247)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/d/a/emacs-build/emacs-build/pkg/299a1fb-ucrt-x86_64
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fno-semantic-interposition -floop-parallelize-all
 -ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -g3 ' --disable-build-details --without-dbus
 --enable-link-time-optimization --enable-build-details
 --with-compress-install --with-small-ja-dic --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-lcms2 --with-mps
 --with-native-compilation --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tree-sitter
 --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-zlib --without-cairo --without-tiff'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES MPS NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Markdown

Minor modes in effect:
  corfu-terminal-mode: t
  visual-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  word-wrap-whitespace-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  bar-cursor-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/HoechtlJ/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20250108.1351/transient
hides
c:/Users/HoechtlJ/AppData/Local/Emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color comp-run
comp-common emacsbug message puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils display-line-numbers
display-fill-column-indicator yasnippet hideshow vc-git diff-mode
track-changes files-x vc-dispatcher time-date corfu-terminal popon
visual-wrap word-wrap-mode flyspell ispell yank-media markdown-mode
edit-indirect rx color thingatpt noutline outline deeper-blue-theme
winner windmove savehist saveplace recentf tree-widget wid-edit
pixel-scroll cua-base ring marginalia autorevert filenotify icomplete
desktop frameset delsel bar-cursor cus-load corfu edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode orderless compat cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf
bar-cursor-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
d2-mode-autoloads dape-autoloads dired-sidebar-autoloads
dired-subtree-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads go-mode-autoloads hideshowvis-autoloads
impatient-showdown-autoloads impatient-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
indent-bars-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase magit-section-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads mini-modeline-autoloads
dash-autoloads olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads popon-autoloads
simple-httpd-autoloads transient-autoloads vundo-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url xdg url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel touch-screen dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile mps
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 24 0 0) (symbols 56 0 0) (strings 40 0 0) (string-bytes 1 0)
 (vectors 24 0) (vector-slots 8 0 0) (floats 24 0 0)
 (intervals 64 0 0) (buffers 1000 0))