Subject: Re: Non-committers can't keep authenticated forks updated

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 15:39:48 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> [..]
>
>> Then there is anything modifying any of the guix commands.  #74832 is
>> over month old, and as far as I know, I am not able to fix guix-copy
>> from a channel.  #72928 took over a month to merge, and again, not
>> sure how to patch guix-describe from a channel.
> Have you considered extensions?

Took me a while to figure out what you mean.  Apparently there is a
$GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH environment variables that can be used to add
sub-commands (does not seem to be documented at all in the manual?).
Maybe I am looking into wrong place.

If I understand it correctly, I could copy&paste the current code for
`guix describe' and add it as `guix describe*' with my modification.
However it feels bit convoluted.

All of these things discussed in this thread are technically possible.
But I think that we all agree that the friction involved, compared to
just using my own fork with the patch applied, is much larger, at least
in my opinion.

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.