Subject: bug#75552: Non-committers can't keep authenticated forks updated

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 15:15:16 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> This has the slight issue that I can no longer easily answer a
>>> question "is this commit in my fork", since I cannot search by the
>>> commit hash. I admit it is not a question I need to answer often
>>> (last time was on 21st of October, CVE-2024-52867).
>> You could solve this by embedding an "upstream-commit:" trailer, but
>> that is an admittedly cursed transformation that no longer maps to a
>> single rebase, I admit.
>
> You can use the Change-Id tag for this.  Our local hooks create them and
> they stay intact after rebase.

Oh, right.  That was not a thing yet when I started my tree, but these
days it would work (with the obvious detail that people use commit
hashes, not change-ids, in emails, so I would need to translate first).

But yes, it still is large improvement over matching commit messages.

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.