Subject: bug#75538: 31.0.50; make-symbolic-link arg broken on ms-windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 19:08:58 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 22:52:28 +0800
> 
> 
> Here is an example, this bug seems only on ms-windows:
> 
> (let ((tmp (make-temp-file "link-test"))
>       (link (make-temp-name "link")))
>   (make-symbolic-link tmp link t) ; here is ok
>   ;; error occur, the third argument should suppress the error
>   (make-symbolic-link tmp link t))

I cannot reproduce this, your example works for me as expected on
MS-Windows (same version as you are using), and creates the symlink
without any errors.  What error message did you see from the second
call?

Maybe your Windows user doesn't have the necessary privileges or
something?  What happens if you run Emacs from a cmd.exe window that
was started by "Run as Administrator"?

Or maybe your filesystem on which you do this is something strange.
is that a local disk formatted as NTFS?  What happens if you insert
(sleep-for 10) between the two calls to make-symbolic-link?