Subject: Re: bug#75530: [PATCH v2 2/3] Remap read-only-mode for Occur modes (bug#75530)

From: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2025 19:19:20 -0600

Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I said in Emacs bug#16214 my preferred solution is to
> leave C-x C-q as is in all three modes and to standardize on
> e to enter the editable mode and C-c C-c to leave it.
>
> C-c C-c already does this in all three modes and e does this
> in occur and when I last looked was unbound in grep.

That bug predates Grep Edit’s addition for 31 and was discussing the
third-party Wgrep package.  Fortunately Grep Edit does bind ‘e’ for
entry and and ‘C-c C-c’ for exit like Occur.

> The problem the last time was dired has e bound to dired-find-file but
> that command is already bound to f to and RET, so IMHO changing it for
> e is not a big deal (and of course I do that in my personal config).
> The argument last time was that changing a binding was too much, but I
> think that's weakened now as this patch did it.

I would be happy to send a replacement patch rebinding ‘e’ in Dired as
an alternative solution.  I can’t imagine very many people are using it
instead of ‘f’ or ‘RET’. If we update NEWS I don’t see a huge problem
with changing a binding that already has not one but two equally
accessible alternatives.  Objections, anyone?