Subject: bug#75530: [PATCH v2 2/3] Remap read-only-mode for Occur modes (bug#75530)

From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2025 01:01:20 -0500

> Indeed, unfortunately this use case was precluded after the change
   > that added the read-only property on line numbers was made recently
   > on 2022-01-23 in the commit 1bcbca3750d9e8c47bee7ac893b885ade584d783.

   Thanks for confirming!

   > Maybe we need to revert this change and find another solution.

That would be amazing!

   Seeing as nobody seemed to notice or care that this use case was broken
   for three years and two major releases, I’m personally inclined to
   proceed further in the direction Lars set previously by considering
   Occur and Grep as proper special modes, with special C-x C-q behavior,
   like Dired.  I don’t find the rationale particularly compelling that
   Occur and Grep buffer contents are more commonly edited as raw text than
   Dired.  Not enough to justify the discrepancy, anyway.  With
   special-mode’s bindings in mind, I think it makes more sense to change
   modes before editing the contents.

Not everyone reads the bug lists, and asking for such feedback is
better done elsewhere.  That nobody commented for a few years does not
mean nobody cared it was broken, such blaming is unkind to all who use
Emacs.  Many people also use older Emacsen, and might not even notice.

Changing modes for occur/grep means you loose out on being able to
jump to the place where there is a match, being able to flush-lines,
or other maniupulation is useful and important.

I reported about this issue several years ago, but come to live with
it like with many other things.  

   I might have to retract that comment about prescribing workflows.  This
   series is tweaking defaults, so I guess that’s its whole purpose!  Maybe
   others can chime in on their tastes here as well?