Subject: bug#75530: [PATCH v2 2/3] Remap read-only-mode for Occur modes (bug#75530)

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 23:38:15 -0500

Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]> writes:

> occur-edit-mode behaves similarly to wdired-mode.  Dired remaps
> read-only-mode to toggle wdired, so set up similar remaps for
> occur-mode-map and occur-edit-mode-map.

I am all for consistency in these three mode, see Emacs
bug#16214.  But in that discussion people brought up that
unlike for dired, for occur and grep, people sometimes use
those commands to (1) search for and collect text, and then
edit into something (say a list or paragraph) rather than
wanting to (2) edit changes into the original sources (which
they also want to do some other times).  So the proposal was
to leave C-x C-q to change read-only to cover the first case
and to use "e" to enter the "writable" modes in all three
cases and for the second case.  C-x C-q in dired was fine to
leave to enter wdired since (1) it already does that and (2)
people don't edit the output there much.

I'm all for using remap instead of hard coding a binding to
C-x C-q, but I wanted to make sure these changes considered
those use cases.

-- 

Howard