Subject: Re: bug#75530: [PATCH 3/3] Remap read-only-mode for Grep Edit

From: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 13:30:04 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
>> From: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 19:00:36 -0600
>> 
>> Like Dired and Occur, writable Grep buffers can now remap read-only-mode
>> to a useful editing mode.
>
> Thanks, but why there’s no NEWS entry here?

>From the cover letter:

> No entry for Grep Edit since it’s new anyway.

I assume the NEWS files are release notes written for users when they
upgrade to a new release. From the perspective of a user switching from
a past release to 31 (after it releases, of course), this tiny binding
change is not noteworthy, since the entire Grep Edit mode is new anyway
and already has a dedicated entry. And anyone living on master can be
expected to understand its volatility and to understand how to browse
commits, no? Otherwise, how is NEWS different from ‘git log’?

Thanks!

—Liam