Subject: Re: bug#75521: scratch/igc: Delete unused macro DEFVAR_LISP_NOPROX

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 22:27:43 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2025 17:52:13 +0000
> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> "Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> NSTATICS was last increased by Paul in 2013 (4195afc389bb).
> >
> > Actually, it was a year before, but I don't see how that changes the
> > fact that redundant protecting should be avoided.
> 
> That sentence is the straw that broke the camel's back.
> 
> It's not a fact, it's an individual opinion which virtually everyone
> else disagrees with (for very good reasons).  I certainly do.  Literally
> the only argument that has been advanced to support this *opinion* is
> that removing the *three* remaining _NOPROs (which are, at this point,
> NOT redundant, but buggy) would somehow cause us to run out of NSTATICS,
> which would mean more than doubling our staticpro calls overnight,
> adding more than a thousand staticpros.

It isn't an opinion.  Wasting memory is bad, period.

We could argue whether 3 slots in staticvec is a significant waste or
not, and that would be a matter of opinion, but Stefan's question was
why do we do it, and I answered that.

All your other arguments are about something else, and are definitely
opinions.  (Though I don't understand since when or why "opinion"
became a derogatory word around here.)

> If diverging opinions are described as contradicting alleged "facts",
> there is no point discussing this further.

Then don't.