Subject: Re: bug#75521: scratch/igc: Delete unused macro DEFVAR_LISP_NOPROX

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 16:16:21 +0200

> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 10:56:55 +0000
> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> I'll stop here.  Yet another simple improvement (and bug fix) to Emacs
> which was effectively vetoed.

I have nothing useful to respond to these accusations, except to
reiterate my firm belief that we should prefer investing our energy
and resources in adding new infrastructure and/or replacing old one
with newer and better one, to investing them in cleaning up old
infrastructure.  The old infrastructure works and works well; it had
worked for us for decades.  Cleaning it up brings only very small
gains, if at all, while running non-negligible risks of introducing
bugs.

So replacing the current GC with a better, more performant and
sophisticated one, is okay and very welcome; cleaning up the old GC is
much less so (especially when we already have plans for replacing it).

Let's be wise in where we decide to invest our resources.