Subject: Typo in (elisp) Symbol Components documentation

From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 11:28:40 +0100

Incorrect plural on word "variable":

modified   doc/lispref/symbols.texi
@@ -106,7 +106,7 @@ reference any object.  (This is not the same thing as holding the symbol
 a value cell that is void results in an error, such as @samp{Symbol's
 value as variable is void}.
 
-  Because each symbol has separate value and function cells, variables
+  Because each symbol has separate value and function cells, variable
 names and function names do not conflict.  For example, the symbol
 @code{buffer-file-name} has a value (the name of the file being
 visited in the current buffer) as well as a function definition (a

It may also help comprehension to remove the word "names" as follows:

modified   doc/lispref/symbols.texi
@@ -106,8 +106,8 @@ reference any object.  (This is not the same thing as holding the symbol
 a value cell that is void results in an error, such as @samp{Symbol's
 value as variable is void}.
 
-  Because each symbol has separate value and function cells, variables
-names and function names do not conflict.  For example, the symbol
+  Because each symbol has separate value and function cells, variable
+and function names do not conflict.  For example, the symbol
 @code{buffer-file-name} has a value (the name of the file being
 visited in the current buffer) as well as a function definition (a
 primitive function that returns the name of the file):

Removing "names" makes the form of the statement match the form of the preceding phrase.  The phrase has form "A and B X", the statement has form "A X and B X".

--
Matt Trzcinski
Emacs Org contributor (ob-shell)
Learn more about Org mode at https://orgmode.org
Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode