Subject: bug#75490: 30.0.93; package-upgrade-all - show upgradeable packages

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 17:58:44 -0600

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>> Another option would be to automatically show a longer list in a
>>>> larger separate window. But in my tests it worked well with
>>>> yes-or-no-p alone despite a long list of package names.
>>>
>>> I think we should indeed pop up a buffer, since the mini-window is
>>> limited in how much it can show conveniently.
>>
>> I am a bit short on time to review this right now, but I agree that a
>> pop-up buffer seems like a better option.  Resizing the minibuffer can
>> get annoying and difficult to keep an overview, whereas a little table
>> with an overview of the changes seems more approachable.
>
> Agree. It is a bit unfortunate that there isn't a helper function for
> such prompts with a popup window. Such a popup appears at least in
> Dired/Ibuffer when deleting/killing multiple files/buffers. Could be
> that there are even more instances. Might be good to extract the common
> functionality?

+1 on using a buffer for this (when I upgrade, I do 50+ packages in one
go), and on extracting the common functionality (because I've needed it
myself in the past and had to reimplement).