Subject: Re: bug#75477: 31.0.50; scratch/igc: crash on the latest commit

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2025 20:29:58 +0000

"Ihor Radchenko" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Not trying to stop you or anything, but we would like to know more about
>> what is causing those slowdowns.  If you're too frustrated now, you can
>> save a coredump (gdb command gcore) and save it along with the emacs
>> binary and emacs.pdmp somewhere :-)
>>
>> Just if you want to, that is.
>
> I got an impression that the priority for now is getting rid of the
> crashes and other critical problems. If I am wrong, I can happily start
> reporting about performance problems.

Some performance problems are critical.  "Emacs is three times as slow"
isn't, but "Emacs slows down so every keypress takes a minute" is.
Unfortunately, some performance issues have workarounds and it's a bit
unfair to those who don't have them to experiment with feature/igc.

But, ultimately if something gets reported I'll look into it, or at
least it'll influence my perception of what needs fixing next :-)

Of course, others might differ.

Pip