Subject: Re: bug#75462: libtool wrongly reorder compiler deps on linux

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2025 20:56:50 +0200

On 09/01/2025 15:11, Frederic Berat wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I opened an issue a few years back that didn't get solved: https:// 
> lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2022-02/msg00001.html <https:// 
> lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2022-02/msg00001.html>
> 
> Out of curiosity, I decided to remove my local patch for it with the new 
> libtool release. It didn't take long for builds to fail again:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2331361 <https:// 
> bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2331361>
> 
> Considering that more and more systems prevent deduplication over the 
> years, may it be considered to be the default behavior instead of the 
> exception ?

To ensure GNU Libtool continues to work with older systems, this patch
should probably not be applied. Users can disable the deduplication
optimization with "--preserve-dup-deps" without applying the suggested
patch, but this affects more than just compiler generated dependencies.

I would be more willing to add an option to toggle
"$opt_duplicate_compiler_generated_deps" separate from
"$opt_preserve_dup_deps". Would this be a good alternative to the patch?

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354