Subject: bug#75461: 30.0.93; Frequent (but inconsistent) hangs when creating frames

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 02:25:51 +1300

Well I don't know what the connection is, but I've now realised that
this seems to happen only when my *mu4e-headers* buffer (for the mu4e
email client) is visible.  As soon as I opened that I could reproduce
the problem again, and it seems to be a consistent trigger.

I'm using the version of mu4e which is packaged for Ubuntu 22.04:

Package: mu4e
Source: maildir-utils
Version: 1.4.15-1

That version is a few years old -- https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/
says mu/mu4e 1.4 was released on 2020-04-18 -- but I'm using that
version to align with the packaged version of mu itself (the Ubuntu
package name for that one is "maildir-utils"), so I can't trivially
switch to a newer release.

On 2025-01-10 02:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Btw, by "hangs" you mean it is stuck doing nothing, right?  It
> doesn't use 100% of some CPU execution unit (that would be
> "infloops", not "hangs"), right?

No, I did mean an infinite loop (the "hang" was that this causes
the user interface to freeze up unless I signal the process).

> Run Emacs normally, not from GD, and when it hangs attach GDB to it
> and say
> 
>   (gdb) thread apply all bt
> 
> Then post here everything GDB produces.

Ok.  It's too late to continue with this right now, so I'll follow
this up later...

-Phil