Subject: bug#75460: herd status hangs forever

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2025 00:12:54 +0100

Hi,

Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On one of my systems, `herd status` just hangs forever.
> `sudo herd status` works as expected, and I'm able to start and stop
> services as normal, just not list them.

The former talks to your user shepherd (perhaps you’re using Guix Home?)
whereas the latter talks to the system shepherd (PID 1).

What you seem to be saying here is that your user shepherd is buggy.

> I understand this is not much to debug based on -- any idea how I can
> get more detailed information?

Can you say which shepherd version you’re using, for your user shepherd?

You can find out by running “cat /proc/PID/cmdline | xargs -0” for its
PID, or by checking ~/.local/state/shepherd/shepherd.log (version 1.0.x
prints its version string there at startup but previous versions
didn’t.)

Then please check precisely what hangs and what doesn’t.  You say “herd
status” hangs; what about “herd status X”, where X is a service defined
for your user shepherd?

Last, could you share the config file of your user shepherd, or maybe
the Guix Home config if that’s what you’re using?

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.