Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 19:39:12 -0500

Tags: patch

This patch fixes a typo in the documentation for Iroquoian input methods
for the Oneida endonym, propagated by copy-paste into comments,
docstrings, and the NEWS entry. The previous spelling 'Onʌyota:ká:' was
missing the third syllable and also used an idiosyncratic orthography.
There are two common orthographic variants that I've seen:
'Onʌyote’a·ká·' (common in community language programs) and
'Onyotaˀa·ká·' (used in Karin Michelson's 2002
'Oneida-English/English-Oneida Dictionary'). I opted for the former.

There is also a small fix for an incorrect input key given in one of the
input method docstrings. 

>From 0fa5f6498e381a60066455595858bbf72c7428c4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 18:29:55 -0500
Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

* lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el: Fix typos in Oneida endonym and in the
docstring of `haudenosaunee-postfix' about keys for inputting Onondaga
nasals.

* etc/NEWS: Fix typo in Oneida endonym.
---
 etc/NEWS                     | 12 ++++++------
 lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el | 14 +++++++-------
 2 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index 37e5669b139..ba73843825d 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -260,12 +260,12 @@ The Tifinagh script is used to write the Berber languages.
 *** New input methods for Northern Iroquoian languages.
 Input methods are now implemented for Haudenosaunee languages in the
 Northern Iroquoian language family: 'mohawk-postfix' (Mohawk
-[Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida [Onʌyota:ká:
-/ Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix' (Cayuga [Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]),
-'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga [Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and 'seneca-postfix'
-(Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).  Additionally, there is a general-purpose
-'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method to facilitate writing in the
-orthographies of the five languages simultaneously.
+[Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida
+[Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix' (Cayuga
+[Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]), 'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga [Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and
+'seneca-postfix' (Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).  Additionally, there is a
+general-purpose 'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method to facilitate
+writing in the orthographies of the five languages simultaneously.
 
 ---
 ** 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' now supports variable-pitch fonts.
diff --git a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
index 51d02e822a9..63c24cf4590 100644
--- a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
+++ b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
@@ -28,7 +28,7 @@
 ;; languages:
 
 ;; - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-;; - Oneida (Onʌyota:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+;; - Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 ;; - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 ;; - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 ;; - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -229,7 +229,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (quail-define-package
  "oneida-postfix" "Oneida" "ONE<" t
- "Oneida (Onʌyota:ká:) input method with postfix modifiers
+ "Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká·) input method with postfix modifiers
 
 Modifiers:
 
@@ -896,7 +896,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 This input method can be used to enter the following languages:
 
 - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-- Oneida (Onʌyota:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+- Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -942,10 +942,10 @@ Vowels:
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
 | (Onondaga Nation, New York)                                          |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-| en~  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
-| EN~  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
-| on~  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
-| ON~  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| en-  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
+| EN-  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| on-  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
+| ON-  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
 | a\"   | ä           | Low front rounded vowel                         |
 | A\"   | Ä           | Low front rounded vowel (capital)               |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-- 
2.46.0