Subject: bug#75448: closed (Re: bug#75448: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 16:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75448: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75448: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75448
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75448: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2025 18:35:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2025 18:26:04 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm okay with this, so please show a patch to make these changes.
> 
> Attached is v2 of the patch.
> 
> I did not add the Onondaga endonym variant, because I could not find
> enough evidence for commonplace usage of it.
> 
> I also updated the 'oneida-postfix' input method so that the easiest of
> the two glottal stop characters to input (via two consecutive
> semicolons) is the RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, which is used in both of
> the endonym variants given. This also aligns nicely with the
> 'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method, which assigns the same keys to
> that glottal stop character.

Thanks, installed, and closing the bug.

Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods
From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 19:39:12 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

This patch fixes a typo in the documentation for Iroquoian input methods
for the Oneida endonym, propagated by copy-paste into comments,
docstrings, and the NEWS entry. The previous spelling 'Onʌyota:ká:' was
missing the third syllable and also used an idiosyncratic orthography.
There are two common orthographic variants that I've seen:
'Onʌyote’a·ká·' (common in community language programs) and
'Onyotaˀa·ká·' (used in Karin Michelson's 2002
'Oneida-English/English-Oneida Dictionary'). I opted for the former.

There is also a small fix for an incorrect input key given in one of the
input method docstrings. 

>From 0fa5f6498e381a60066455595858bbf72c7428c4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2025 18:29:55 -0500
Subject: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

* lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el: Fix typos in Oneida endonym and in the
docstring of `haudenosaunee-postfix' about keys for inputting Onondaga
nasals.

* etc/NEWS: Fix typo in Oneida endonym.
---
 etc/NEWS                     | 12 ++++++------
 lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el | 14 +++++++-------
 2 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index 37e5669b139..ba73843825d 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -260,12 +260,12 @@ The Tifinagh script is used to write the Berber languages.
 *** New input methods for Northern Iroquoian languages.
 Input methods are now implemented for Haudenosaunee languages in the
 Northern Iroquoian language family: 'mohawk-postfix' (Mohawk
-[Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida [Onʌyota:ká:
-/ Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix' (Cayuga [Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]),
-'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga [Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and 'seneca-postfix'
-(Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).  Additionally, there is a general-purpose
-'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method to facilitate writing in the
-orthographies of the five languages simultaneously.
+[Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida
+[Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix' (Cayuga
+[Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]), 'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga [Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and
+'seneca-postfix' (Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).  Additionally, there is a
+general-purpose 'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method to facilitate
+writing in the orthographies of the five languages simultaneously.
 
 ---
 ** 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' now supports variable-pitch fonts.
diff --git a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
index 51d02e822a9..63c24cf4590 100644
--- a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
+++ b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
@@ -28,7 +28,7 @@
 ;; languages:
 
 ;; - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-;; - Oneida (Onʌyota:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+;; - Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 ;; - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 ;; - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 ;; - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -229,7 +229,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (quail-define-package
  "oneida-postfix" "Oneida" "ONE<" t
- "Oneida (Onʌyota:ká:) input method with postfix modifiers
+ "Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká·) input method with postfix modifiers
 
 Modifiers:
 
@@ -896,7 +896,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 This input method can be used to enter the following languages:
 
 - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-- Oneida (Onʌyota:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+- Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -942,10 +942,10 @@ Vowels:
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
 | (Onondaga Nation, New York)                                          |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-| en~  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
-| EN~  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
-| on~  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
-| ON~  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| en-  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
+| EN-  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| on-  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
+| ON-  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
 | a\"   | ä           | Low front rounded vowel                         |
 | A\"   | Ä           | Low front rounded vowel (capital)               |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-- 
2.46.0