Subject: Re: bug#75448: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2025 18:26:04 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm okay with this, so please show a patch to make these changes.

Attached is v2 of the patch.

I did not add the Onondaga endonym variant, because I could not find
enough evidence for commonplace usage of it.

I also updated the 'oneida-postfix' input method so that the easiest of
the two glottal stop characters to input (via two consecutive
semicolons) is the RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, which is used in both of
the endonym variants given. This also aligns nicely with the
'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method, which assigns the same keys to
that glottal stop character.

Thanks. 

>From ed49f5e950202d7d05821d6e2f6b854294ba1abd Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2025 17:25:51 -0500
Subject: [PATCH] Improve usability and documentation of Iroquoian input
 methods

* lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el: Add variants for Mohawk and Oneida
endonyms in comments and docstrings.  Update the 'oneida-postfix' input
method to make the most commonly used glottal stop character easiest to
input.  Update the 'onondaga-postfix' input method with mnemonic keys
for nasals in the Onondaga Nation, New York orthography.  (Bug#75448)

* etc/NEWS: Add variants for Mohawk and Oneida endonyms to NEWS entry.
---
 etc/NEWS                     | 13 +++++----
 lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el | 54 +++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 2 files changed, 39 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index d017c872fa3..0879bde5628 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -277,12 +277,13 @@ The Tifinagh script is used to write the Berber languages.
 *** New input methods for Northern Iroquoian languages.
 Input methods are now implemented for Haudenosaunee languages in the
 Northern Iroquoian language family: 'mohawk-postfix' (Mohawk
-[Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida
-[Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix' (Cayuga
-[Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]), 'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga [Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and
-'seneca-postfix' (Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).  Additionally, there is a
-general-purpose 'haudenosaunee-postfix' input method to facilitate
-writing in the orthographies of the five languages simultaneously.
+[Kanien’kéha / Kanyen’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha]), 'oneida-postfix' (Oneida
+[Onʌyote’a·ká· / Onyota’a:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha]), 'cayuga-postfix'
+(Cayuga [Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ]), 'onondaga-postfix' (Onondaga
+[Onųdaʔgegáʔ]), and 'seneca-postfix' (Seneca [Onödowá’ga:’]).
+Additionally, there is a general-purpose 'haudenosaunee-postfix' input
+method to facilitate writing in the orthographies of the five languages
+simultaneously.
 
 ---
 ** 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' now supports variable-pitch fonts.
diff --git a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
index 63c24cf4590..6671a1d20f1 100644
--- a/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
+++ b/lisp/leim/quail/iroquoian.el
@@ -27,8 +27,8 @@
 ;; Input methods are implemented for all Five Nations Iroquois
 ;; languages:
 
-;; - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-;; - Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+;; - Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Kanyen’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
+;; - Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Onyota’a:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 ;; - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 ;; - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 ;; - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -123,7 +123,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (quail-define-package
  "mohawk-postfix" "Mohawk" "MOH<" t
- "Mohawk (Kanien’kéha) input method with postfix modifiers
+ "Mohawk (Kanien’kéha/Kanyen’kéha) input method with postfix modifiers
 
 Stress diacritics:
 
@@ -216,8 +216,8 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (defconst iroquoian-oneida-consonant-alist
-  '((";;" ?\N{MODIFIER LETTER GLOTTAL STOP})
-    (";'" ?\N{RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK}))
+  '((";;" ?\N{RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK})
+    (";'" ?\N{MODIFIER LETTER GLOTTAL STOP}))
   "Alist of rules for consonant letters in Oneida input methods.
 Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
@@ -229,7 +229,7 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (quail-define-package
  "oneida-postfix" "Oneida" "ONE<" t
- "Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká·) input method with postfix modifiers
+ "Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká·/Onyota’a:ká:) input method with postfix modifiers
 
 Modifiers:
 
@@ -258,8 +258,8 @@ Consonants:
 
 | Key | Translation | Description              |
 |-----+-------------+--------------------------|
-| ;;  | ˀ           | Glottal stop             |
-| ;\\='  | \\=’           | Glottal stop (alternate) |
+| ;;  | \\=’           | Glottal stop             |
+| ;\\='  | ˀ           | Glottal stop (alternate)  |
 
 h, k, l, n, s, t, w, and y are bound to a single key.
 
@@ -393,9 +393,11 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 (defconst iroquoian-onondaga-nasal-alist
-  '(("n-" ?ñ)
+  '(("n~" ?ñ)
+    ("n-" ["ñ"])
     ("n--" ["n-"])
-    ("N-" ?Ñ)
+    ("N~" ?Ñ)
+    ("N-" ["Ñ"])
     ("N--" ["N-"]))
   "Alist of rules for nasal modifier letters in Onondaga input methods.
 Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
@@ -433,10 +435,14 @@ Vowels:
 |-----------------------------------------------------------|
 | Onondaga Nation, New York orthography                     |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------|
-| en- | eñ | Mid front nasal vowel                          |
-| EN- | EÑ | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                |
-| on- | oñ | Back high nasal vowel                          |
-| ON- | OÑ | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                |
+| en~ | eñ | Mid front nasal vowel                          |
+| en- | eñ | (same as above)                                |
+| EN~ | EÑ | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                |
+| EN- | EÑ | (same as above)                                |
+| on~ | oñ | Back high nasal vowel                          |
+| on- | oñ | (same as above)                                |
+| ON~ | OÑ | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                |
+| ON- | OÑ | (same as above)                                |
 | a\"  | ä  | Low front rounded vowel                        |
 | A\"  | Ä  | Low front rounded vowel (capital)              |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------|
@@ -895,8 +901,8 @@ Entries are as with rules in `quail-define-rules'.")
 
 This input method can be used to enter the following languages:
 
-- Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
-- Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Ukwehuwehnéha)
+- Mohawk (Kanien’kéha / Kanyen’kéha / Onkwehonwehnéha)
+- Oneida (Onʌyote’a·ká· / Onyota’a:ká: / Ukwehuwehnéha)
 - Cayuga (Gayogo̱ho:nǫhnéha:ˀ)
 - Onondaga (Onųdaʔgegáʔ)
 - Seneca (Onödowá’ga:’)
@@ -942,10 +948,14 @@ Vowels:
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
 | (Onondaga Nation, New York)                                          |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-| en-  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
-| EN-  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
-| on-  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
-| ON-  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| en~  | eñ          | Mid front nasal vowel                           |
+| en-  | eñ          | (same as above)                                 |
+| EN~  | EÑ          | Mid front nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| EN-  | EÑ          | (same as above)                                 |
+| on~  | oñ          | Back high nasal vowel                           |
+| on-  | oñ          | (same as above)                                 |
+| ON~  | OÑ          | Back high nasal vowel (capital)                 |
+| ON-  | OÑ          | (same as above)                                 |
 | a\"   | ä           | Low front rounded vowel                         |
 | A\"   | Ä           | Low front rounded vowel (capital)               |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
@@ -991,8 +1001,8 @@ Consonants:
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
 | Oneida                                                               |
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------- |
-| ;\\='    | ˀ           | Glottal stop                                   |
-| ;;    | \\=’           | Glottal stop (alternate)                       |
+| ;;    | \\=’           | Glottal stop                                   |
+| ;\\='    | ˀ           | Glottal stop (alternate)                        |
 | Single-key consonants: h k l n s t w y                               |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
 | Onondaga                                                             |
-- 
2.47.1