Subject: Re: bug#75448: [PATCH] Fix documentation of Iroquoian input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2025 08:18:33 +0200

> From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 19:39:12 -0500
> 
> This patch fixes a typo in the documentation for Iroquoian input methods
> for the Oneida endonym, propagated by copy-paste into comments,
> docstrings, and the NEWS entry. The previous spelling 'Onʌyota:ká:' was
> missing the third syllable and also used an idiosyncratic orthography.
> There are two common orthographic variants that I've seen:
> 'Onʌyote’a·ká·' (common in community language programs) and
> 'Onyotaˀa·ká·' (used in Karin Michelson's 2002
> 'Oneida-English/English-Oneida Dictionary'). I opted for the former.

Since these are very delicate matters, I'd like us to go by the
orthography that is really widely accepted.  In Wikipedia
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_language), I see "onʌjotaʔaːka"
and "onʌjoteʔaːkaː", which is different from what you show.  I wonder
what should we use, given so many different variants.

> There is also a small fix for an incorrect input key given in one of the
> input method docstrings. 

I agree that factually the input method behaves as you describe in
your patch, but is it not more reasonable to change the code to behave
as the documentation says?  Why should '-' after 'n' produce ñ?  It
sounds like using '~' for that is better mnemonically?

Thanks.