Subject: [bug#75414] [PATCH 2/2] deploy: Add roll-back action.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 23:07:02 +0100

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * guix/scripts/deploy.scm (guix-deploy): Add the roll-back action.
> (show-what-to-deploy): Optionally support the roll-back action.
> (roll-back-machine*): New function.
> (show-help): Document the roll-back action.
> * doc/guix.texi (Invoking guix deploy): Document the roll-back action.
>
> Change-Id: Ic5084f287aefb2d1d28380ca4ba1c6971cb913e7

[...]

> +You may also wish to roll back configurations on machines to a previous
> +generation.  You can do that using
                                     ^
I would add a colon.

>  (define (show-help)
> -  (display (G_ "Usage: guix deploy [OPTION] FILE...
> -Perform the deployment specified by FILE.\n"))
> +  (display (G_ "Usage: guix deploy [OPTION] [ACTION] FILE...

Hmm I would rather have ‘guix deploy --roll-back’, although that’d be
different from ‘guix system’, primarily because I don’t see what other
actions we could have, and in particular how we’d name the default
action (‘guix deploy deploy’? ‘guix deploy really’? ‘guix deploy
please’?).

Tough issue!

But note that if we make it a ‘--roll-back’ option, we can easily change
our mind later and make it an action, whereas the converse would be more
difficult.

Apart from that it looks great to me.

Thank you!

Ludo’.