Subject: bug#75406: closed (Re: bug#75406: 31.0.50; [PATCH] csharp-ts-mode does not highlight type in typeof() expressions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 11:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75406: 31.0.50; [PATCH] csharp-ts-mode does not highlight type in typeof() expressions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75406: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75406
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75406: 31.0.50; [PATCH] csharp-ts-mode does not highlight type in typeof() expressions
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 13:30:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>,
>  Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2025 11:31:37 +0100
> 
> Attached is updated patch which should be compatible with both tree-sitter grammar versions.

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 31.0.50; [PATCH] csharp-ts-mode does not highlight type in typeof() expressions
From: Jostein Kjønigsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>, Theodor Thornhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 15:12:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey everyone.

When using csharp-ts-mode to edit C# files, you may encounter the use of the typeof() operator in typeof()-expressions. The typeof() operater has 1 required parameter, which is always a type-name.

    public class Gnu
    {
        public void Demo()
        {
            var type = typeof(IQueryable);
        }
    }

This type parameter should be fontified using font-lock-type-face. Currently it is not.

There are explicit rules in csharp-ts-mode defined to attempt to fontify this, but they do not seem to be working:

     ,@(when (csharp-ts-mode--test-type-of-expression)
         '((type_of_expression (identifier) @font-lock-type-face))
         '((typeof_expression (identifier) @font-lock-type-face)))

Based on my inspection in treesit-explore mode, I see the grammar reports back these nodes as typeof_expression-nodes, but these rules are not activated because the preceeding (when ...) condition fails.

(defun csharp-ts-mode--test-type-of-expression ()
  "Return non-nil if (type_of_expression) is in the grammar."
  (ignore-errors
    (treesit-query-compile 'c-sharp "(type_of_expression)" t)
    t))

Changing this implementation to the following (matching the node-names I see in treesit-explore mode) makes highlighting work for me:

(defun csharp-ts-mode--test-type-of-expression ()
  "Return non-nil if (type_of_expression) is in the grammar."
  (ignore-errors
    (treesit-query-compile 'c-sharp "(typeof_expression)" t)
    t))

Attached is a patch which provides this change.

Note: This bug/fix was reproduced using tree-sitter-c-sharp grammar built on December 18th, 2024. I haven't tested with other versions.

Kind regards
Jostein

￼

--

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 5, aarch64-apple-darwin24.0.0, NS
 appkit-2566.00 Version 15.0.1 (Build 24A348)) of 2024-12-11 built on
 SOK67R3KWV97
Repository revision: a9bc12318121acb513a5735f641602001510a932
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2566
System Description:  macOS 15.0.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation --with-json
 --with-imagemagick
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C#

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  indent-bars--ts-mode: t
  indent-bars-mode: t
  eglot-inlay-hints-mode: t
  eglot--managed-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-nlinum-mode: t
  nlinum-mode: t
  ido-yes-or-no-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: #[128 \304\300\301#\207 [yas--auto-fill do-auto-fill :around nil apply] 5 advice]
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240421.1327/transient hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/transient
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240318.2049/editorconfig hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/editorconfig
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240318.2049/editorconfig-conf-mode hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/editorconfig-conf-mode
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240318.2049/editorconfig-core hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/editorconfig-core
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240318.2049/editorconfig-core-handle hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/editorconfig-core-handle
/Users/josteink/.emacs.d/elpa/editorconfig-20240318.2049/editorconfig-fnmatch hides /Users/josteink/build/emacs/lisp/editorconfig-fnmatch

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug csharp-mode cc-langs help-fns radix-tree
facemenu crm grep helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info
misearch multi-isearch bug-reference markdown-mode pulse elec-pair
typescript-ts-mode js c-ts-common cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git
vc-dispatcher winner tramp-archive tramp-gvfs add-log
ido-completing-read+ memoize minibuf-eldef org-duration diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-iso oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi org-agenda org-element org-persist org-id
org-element-ast inline avl-tree org-refile elisp-slime-nav
highlight-symbol flycheck editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb company indent-bars-ts indent-bars face-remap color eglot
external-completion jsonrpc flymake diff ert ewoc debug backtrace
which-func hideshow disp-table cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load eww vtable
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom mm-url gnus
nnheader range wid-edit helm-imenu helm-mode helm-misc helm-files
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util
image-mode exif tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat xdg shell parse-time iso8601 tramp-loaddefs helm-buffers
helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils
helm-help helm-types helm helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-core
async-bytecomp helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async imenu
ob-plantuml delsel autorevert filenotify org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie executable ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs yasnippet
paredit mm-archive message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 gnus-util time-date
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils
gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny epg-config
nlinum linum ido-yes-or-no advice ido use-package-bind-key bind-key xref
server hl-line pixel-scroll cua-base compile-eslint compile
text-property-search all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons doom-modeline doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env
doom-modeline-core shrink-path f s dash nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces
nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon
nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon
nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline
nerd-icons-data-octicon nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon
dracula-theme use-package-ensure use-package-core
all-the-icons-autoloads bitwarden-autoloads bmx-mode-autoloads
cargo-autoloads cmake-mode-autoloads format-spec edmacro kmacro
combobulate-display combobulate-ztree combobulate-envelope
combobulate-manipulation python project compat comint ansi-osc ring
ansi-color combobulate-procedure combobulate-navigation combobulate-misc
combobulate-setup tempo combobulate-interface combobulate-settings
diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode treesit generator combobulate-rules
company-autoloads copilot-mode-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads
bui-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
dracula-theme-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flycheck-autoloads helm-autoloads
helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads highlight-symbol-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads ido-completing-read+-autoloads comp comp-cstr
cl-extra help-mode warnings comp-run comp-common rx
indent-bars-autoloads finder-inf lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads memoize-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads nlinum-autoloads
paredit-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads popup-autoloads
powershell-autoloads quelpa-use-package-autoloads quelpa-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads spinner-autoloads swift-mode-autoloads
transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads
ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads wfnames-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads wsd-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1340125 283321) (symbols 48 53880 0)
 (strings 32 314514 8847) (string-bytes 1 9290186) (vectors 16 109175)
 (vector-slots 8 2175883 319679) (floats 8 1370 14387)
 (intervals 56 38780 7503) (buffers 992 60))

—
Kind Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen