Subject: Re: [bug#75402] [PATCH 0/3] Assorted kexec fixes

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2025 19:12:43 +0100

Hi,

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>> One feature request though.  I think it would be nice to get
>>> --no-kexec for guix-deploy as well :)
>>
>> Good point.  I’m not sure where to put it though.  In
>> <machine-ssh-configuration>?
>
> I am asking for a command line argument.  Not sure if that does answer
> the question.  I am not familiar enough with this part to suggest how to
> wire the option through the program flow.

The reason I was suggesting this is that authorize?, allow-downgrades?,
safety-checks? are already part of <machine-ssh-configuration>.  These
cannot really be a command-line option… for reasons that escape me right
now.  :-)  But anyway, I thought we’d be in the same situation here.

> On a separate note, if we would want to disable the kexec in the
> definition, I feel like operating-system would be the most fitting
> place.  Reason being that either I want to kexec the specific system or
> I do not want to kexec it.  But I would expect that to rarely correlate
> with the deployment method.  Sometimes I reconfigure the system via
> guix-deploy, sometimes (when I break the networking) via
> guix-system-reconfigure from USB drive, and it would seem to make sense
> to have kexec behave the same way for both of the approaches.

Hmm I see.  The way I saw it, kexec loading is a bonus that doesn’t cost
much, which is why it’s opt-out.  It didn’t occur to me that one would
really want to control that to the level you describe.

Ludo’.