Subject: bug#75400: closed (Re: [bug#75400] [PATCH] Fixing python-spacy)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 15:00:05 +0000

Your bug report

#75400: [PATCH] Fixing python-spacy

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75400: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75400
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#75400] [PATCH] Fixing python-spacy
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Alice BRENON <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 15:58:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Alice,

Alice BRENON <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>>From 9a349ac01cec33fc1e49ba7f80ae18ef5cfdf922 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> Message-ID: <9a34[email-masked]>
> From: Alice BRENON <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2025 23:01:50 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: python-spacy: Fix build.
>
> * gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm (python-spacy): Fix build.
> [native-inputs]: Add python-wheel
>
> Change-Id: I6550f6dc0cb1fb88fc733f6471f1831c4ba95977

Applied.  Thanks for the debugging session and thorough analysis.

Cc’ing the Python team for feedback on your other comments:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/75400

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH] Fixing python-spacy
From: Alice BRENON <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 12:44:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

The package `python-spacy` seems to have been broken at least partially by the
recent changes in python tooling. The attached patch is a very short first step
into fixing it. This message doesn't hope to get it accepted but is rather meant
to open the discussion on the topic.

- the first issue is naturally the new required dependencies in `native-inputs`
  mentioned in bdde278dc9c565d8e9d11427c3a670ba86808af5 an visible in many
  python packages commit these past weeks. Surprisingly, I managed to compile
  `python-spacy` by adding only `python-wheel`, without `python-setuptools`.
  What makes both required? Are we sure that both were required in each and
  every python package recently modified?

- the second issue which I can't link with the changes in our tooling is caused
  by two packages which tests have broken: `python-aws-xray-sdk` and
  `python-jose`. First one seems to have a problem in sqlalchemy version (it
  seems to be using too recent a syntax; which is weird considering the fact
  that it uses version 2 and that it used to work — `python-aws-xray-sdk` hasn't
  been modified since cec543e7 on april the 27th 2023!). Second one now has
  trouble checking several certificates for mere formatting reasons (expected
  and actual PEMs are almost the same, only newlines are different; fixing the
  code of the test itself, another one breaks somewhere else. It seems that
  these source codes aren't sturdy enough and don't work at all in the package
  environment guix provides.

- these packages are dependencies of `python-moto`. Removing them from the
  dependencies, many tests break as expected for lack of these modules, but
  disabling them isn't enough: I played a game of whack-a-mole yesterday trying
  to get the tests to pass. Strangely, whereas testing with hypothesis runs all
  the tests and then reports all that have failed, fixing the one reported and
  running the tests again doesn't help: new tests break in different files that
  were apparently fine before… I had three iterations of this process, each one
  consuming half and hour on my machine. As far as I am concerned, these tests
  are unreliable and don't bring any additional confidence to the package. I
  have disabled them to test the fix for `python-spacy` and have been able to
  compile it and use the package.

Appart from that, everything looks ok. `python-moto` appears as a dependency of
`python-smart-open` which itself is both a direct dependency of `python-spacy`
and a dependency of `python-pathy` which is also a dependency of `python-spacy`.

python-smart-open -> python-moto
python-pathy -> python-smart-open
python-spacy -> python-smart-open, python-pathy

I understand that disabling the tests on a package entirely isn't a very sound
practice for a distribution so I doubt this is an acceptable fix. As I
understand the situation the next steps will be to sort things between
`python-aws-xray-sdk` and `python-sqlalchemy` and to understand why the tests in
`python-jose` have suddenly broken so bad.

Best,

Alice
>From 9a349ac01cec33fc1e49ba7f80ae18ef5cfdf922 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Message-ID: <9a34[email-masked]>
From: Alice BRENON <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2025 23:01:50 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] gnu: python-spacy: Fix build.

* gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm (python-spacy): Fix build.
[native-inputs]: Add python-wheel

Change-Id: I6550f6dc0cb1fb88fc733f6471f1831c4ba95977
---
 gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm b/gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm
index c7d336b8b3..1617ef917e 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm
@@ -1282,7 +1282,7 @@ (define-public python-spacy
                              python-typing-extensions
                              python-wasabi))
     (native-inputs
-     (list python-cython python-pytest python-mock))
+     (list python-cython python-pytest python-mock python-wheel))
     (home-page "https://spacy.io")
     (synopsis "Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Python")
     (description

base-commit: 7a7c01b393ecb20dff142b9ea9bf8317e994bef2
-- 
2.47.1