Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fixing python-spacy

From: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2025 15:18:32 +0100

Hi Alice,

via:

> Cc’ing the Python team for feedback on your other comments:
> 
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/75400

> - the first issue is naturally the new required dependencies in `native-inputs`
>   mentioned in bdde278dc9c565d8e9d11427c3a670ba86808af5 an visible in many
>   python packages commit these past weeks. Surprisingly, I managed to compile
>   `python-spacy` by adding only `python-wheel`, without `python-setuptools`.
>   What makes both required? Are we sure that both were required in each and
>   every python package recently modified?

in short: yes. I can’t tell for sure for this exact case because
the output of `guix graph` is too big for `xdot` to handle, but it’s
likely python-setuptools is implicitly propagated through some dependency
(perhaps a bug like https://issues.guix.gnu.org/25235) to python-spacy
and thus it looks like it’s “not required”.

Lars