Subject: bug#754: Can't cancel dabbrev-expand (M-/) with C-g

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:49:50 +0200

David Caldwell <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>> If I have many buffers open (284 at the moment) and if I run
>>>> dabbrev-expand (M-/) to expand the word under my buffers then it
>>>> searches through every buffer and takes an understandably long
>>>> time. If I mispelled the word fragment then it never has a hope of
>>>> finding it and I'd like to cancel the operation. But C-g does not work
>>>> for some reason and so I have to wait a good 5 to 10 seconds for it to
>>>> finish scanning all my buffers. This gets very frustrating after the
>>>> third or fourth time.

[...]

> After further testing, I believe this is not really a bug in dabbrev.
> C-g *does* cancel the operation, it's just that sometimes there is a
> large lag before it cancels (though in my current tests I've never had
> it go beyond 2 seconds). I have a ton of buffers open right this moment
> and fulling scan them takes 15 to 20 seconds, so I can definitely tell
> that it's canceling.
>
> The 1 to 2 second lag is still a little frustrating, but it's much
> better than the originally reported 5 to 10 second lag. I wonder if it
> has to do with how the Mac handles the quit signal in windowed mode...

Do you know if this bug is still present in newer Emacs versions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/