Subject: Re: bug#75398: 30.0.93; files.el documentation refers to "ITS-id" version control

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2025 00:10:43 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I understand that "version control" refers to backup files rather than
  > VCS, but what is "ITS-id"?  I can't find any references to that in the
  > manual, or by grepping, but since the text was written in 1993, is it
  > possible that it refers to "Incompatible Time-Sharing System"...?

It might.  Some of this code may have been translated from TECO in
1984/5.  But I can't recall what it that term might refer to.

On ITS, the only place to store a version number was (1) in the second
filename or (2) in the file contents.  When that text was written, was
there code in Emacs to store a version number in one of those places?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)