Subject: Re: bug#75397: 29.4; GNUS message mode lacks Cyrillic support (GNU/Linux)

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 10:36:34 +0100

On Jan 06 2025, Nickolai Dobrynin wrote:

> 1. Type M-gnus to start GNUS.
> 2. Start composing a message by pressing 'm'.
> 3. Enter the first, say, 5 letters of the Cyrillic alphabet, i.e. абвгд.
> 4. Press C-c C-d to save the draft.
> 5. Press S D e to resume editing.
> 6. Bizarrely enough, instead of "абвгд", you will see a sequence of digits "01234".
>
> Is this even real?? By the way, this does not occur with ordinary text
> files. And everything works fine in the view mode inside the draft
> group. Pressing S D e, on the other hand, makes things go haywire.

The problem is that message-dont-send doesn't encode the message when it
saves it.  gnus-summary-resend-message-edit assumes that the stored
message is encoded and goes through an unibyte buffer while trying to
decode it, which then strips off all non-ascii bits from the characters.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."