Subject: Re: bug#75397: 29.4; GNUS message mode lacks Cyrillic support (GNU/Linux)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 14:47:22 +0200

> From: "Nickolai Dobrynin" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2025 19:13:49 +0100
> 
> 1. Can you suggest a workaround for this?
> 
> 2. For clarity's sake, would it be better to change the title of the
> bug report to, e.g., "messages get corrupted after being saved to "drafts" b/c
> message-dont-send doesn't encode them before saving"? This would
> probably summarize the problem much better to the rest of the Emacs team.

No need.  The Emacs team, such as it is, took good note of your
report, and will investigate the ways to fix this soon.  At that time,
we may have suggestions for workarounds or patches for fixing the
problem.  It's just that we didn't have yet time to do so.

For now, the only workaround to try I can suggest is to explicitly
bind the coding-system while saving the draft, like this:

  C-x RET c utf-8-emacs RET C-c C-d

If after that "S D e" doesn't restore the original Cyrillic text, try
this instead:

  C-x RET c utf-8-emacs RET S D e

P.S. Please don't change the Subject line when you respond to messages
in this thread: it makes it a bit harder to find the previous/next
messages when reading the discussions.  I've restored the original
Subject on my response.