Subject: bug#75387: closed (Re: bug#75387: 29.4; hideshow: hs-hide-level hides multiple top-level blocks as one)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 11:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75387: 29.4; hideshow: hs-hide-level hides multiple top-level blocks as one

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75387: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75387
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75387: 29.4; hideshow: hs-hide-level hides multiple top-level blocks as one
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Christoph Groth <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 13:26:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Christoph Groth <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2025 23:41:28 +0100
> 
> kobarity wrote:
> 
> > I think I've found the root cause.  `python-nav-end-of-statement' may
> > fail to find the end of a long triple-quoted string when the buffer is
> > "fresh".  It uses the following code to find the end of
> > a triple-quoted string:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Attached is a patch to fix this issue.  I changed the above search to
> > searching for triple-quotes and checking syntax.  Checking syntax
> > involves `syntax-ppss' and syntax properties up to the point are
> > updated.
> 
> I verified that the patch indeed solves the issue for me and
> does not seem to introduce any other problem.
> 
> These were the steps that I followed:
> 
> • In my Emacs 29.4 from Debian stable, I copied the function
>   python-nav-end-of-statement to *scratch*.
> 
> • There, I manually applied the change from the patch.
> 
> • I evaluated the function definition.
> 
> • I tried to reproduce the issue in a “fresh” builder.py buffer, but it
>   no longer appears.

Thanks, I've now installed the patch on the master branch, and I'm
therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 29.4; hideshow: hs-hide-level hides multiple top-level blocks as one
From: Christoph Groth <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 19:53:04 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I noticed the following problem when using a homemade function that
allows me to cycle hideshow visibility in a way similar to org-mode.
The issue, however, is independent of any customization (it appears with
emacs -Q as well).

I can reproduce the issue with the following source file

https://gitlab.kwant-project.org/kwant/kwant/-/raw/0d679b3efecd145d13e3174c60d829a7c3cd4374/kwant/builder.py

I tried simplifying that file to isolate the issue, but did not arrive at
something more useful than the original.  To demonstrate the issue:

(1) Download the above file.
(2) Open it with emacs -Q builder.py.  Point is not moved.
(3) M-x hs-minor-mode RET
(4) M-x hs-hide-level RET

The result is that the buffer shows only two hidden blocks, with the
buffer ending in

@total_ordering
class SiteFamily(metaclass=abc.ABCMeta):...

This is incorrect, since there are many other classes and top-level
functions in the file.  Each should appear as a separate top-level
block.

If M-x hs-hide-all is run instead of step (4) the hiding works as
expected, many more top-level hidden blocks appear.  M-x hd-hide-level
also produces the expected effect if the second block created by (4) is
un-hidden in some way.  For example if the following two steps are added
to the above sequence:

(5) M-x hs-show-all RET
(6) M-x hs-hide-level RET

I would expect that hs-hide-level always produces the same result when
called with point at the same position in a buffer.

I hope that this somewhat obscure observation allows to fix some
inconsistency.

Thanks,
Christoph

---

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-12-15, modified by Debian built on sbuild
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.4+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_DK.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77057 13062)
 (symbols 48 7444 0)
 (strings 32 19535 1545)
 (string-bytes 1 584589)
 (vectors 16 15338)
 (vector-slots 8 328476 18154)
 (floats 8 27 46)
 (intervals 56 275 0)
 (buffers 984 11))