Subject: bug#75380: Hyperbole menu breaks with custom keybinding

From: Julian Hoch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 12:46:51 +0100

Hi,

I am encountering a bug where the Hyperbole menu does not work when you
bind the "hyperbole" command to a custom key.  I bound it to the
(admittedly somewhat unusual) key "S-<SF86Tools>" - simply one of the
few unused keys that I could comfortably map on my keyboard.
I use this code to bind the key:

   (bind-key "S-<XF86Tools>" 'hyperbole)

If I now open Hyperbole menu and try to get into a submenu, I get the
following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument characterp S-XF86Tools)
  hui:menu-item(69 nil nil nil (("Hy9.0.2pre>") ("Act" hui:hbut-act "Activate button at point or prompt for a labeled b...") ("Butfile/" (menu . butfile) "Quick access button files menus.") ("Cust/" (menu . cust) "Customize Hyperbole by setting major options.") ("Doc/" (menu . doc) "Quick access to Hyperbole documentation.") ("Ebut/" (menu . ebut) "Explicit button commands.") ("Find/" (menu . find) "Find matching line commands.") ("Gbut/" (menu . gbut) "Global button commands.") ("HyWiki/" (menu . hywiki) "HyWiki commands.") ("Ibut/" (menu . ibut) "Implicit button and button type commands.") ("Kotl/" (menu . kotl) "Autonumbered outlining and hyperlink capabilities.") ("Msg/" (menu . msg) "Mail and News messaging capabilities.") ("Rolo/" (menu . hyrolo) "Hierarchical, multi-file rolo lookup and edit comm...") ("Screen/" (menu . screen) "Screen display management commands.") ("Win/" (menu . win) "Window configuration management commands.") ("historY" hhist:pop "Jump back to location prior to last Hyperbole butt...")))
  ...

As a workaround, I ALSO bind hyperbole to {C-h h} using

   (general-define-key "C-h h" 'hyperbole)

After that, the menu works again (with both bindings).

However I feel this should not be necessary?

I use:  Editor:      GNU Emacs 29.4 with native comp
        Hyperbole:   9.0.2pre
        Sys Type:    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
        OS Type:     gnu/linux
        Window Sys:  x
        News Reader: Gnus v5.13
        Install:     melpa, 20241230.2252
-- 
Julian Hoch