Subject: Re: bug#75379: 30.0.93; project-find-regexp expects "C" or "en" locale

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2025 16:17:24 +0200

On 05/01/2025 22:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> First, the Windows locale-dependent routines don't heed environment
>>> variables, so setting LANG etc. in the environment will only do what
>>> you expect if the program in question was either explicitly programmed
>>> to pay attention to those variables or was linked with Gnulib
>>> replacements for locale functions.
>>>
>>> And second LC_MESSAGES is not supported by Windows locales at all.
>>
>> Okay, but first of all, do Grep or Ripgrep use different localizations
>> on Windows, not just English?
> 
> For Grep, it depends on how it was configured when building.  The
> default configuration uses gettext to translate messages, and this
> message is marked as translated.

Okay, but if it's not configured to use gettext, would it just use 
English, or are there some other mechanisms?

Looking at 
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9268379/non-localized-version-of-mingw-msys2, 
there recommendations are along the standard lines of using either LANG 
or LC_ALL.

> For Ripgrep, I don't know.

It seems to me Ripgrep is simply not translated, which is just fine for us.