Subject: Re: bug#75379: 30.0.93; project-find-regexp expects "C" or "en" locale

From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 13:36:18 +0100

>
> Thanks, this is a solid proposal, but as per comment:
>
>                   ;; TODO: Show these matches as well somehow?
>
> we would probably want to print these weird matches as well, in the
> future. As you mention, search programs have a flag which avoids
> printing these matches, but in certain rare cases it might happen that a
> mostly text file is detected as binary - and then it seems preferable to
> print all of such matches in the buffer rather than ignore them. (Unless
> people disagree?)
>
> And yeah, it's an old comment, so this improvement is not high on the
> list, but whenever we (I/you/anybody else) get around to implementing
> it,

What would be the "right thing to do"? Should we call grep and ugrep with
"--binary-files=text" (and ripgrep has the equivalent "-a") and then ask
Emacs to guess whether each match is "compatible" with the process encoding
system and based on that decide whether to display the match or print a
warning like "match found among unprintable binary data" nearby the file
name?
-- 
Matthias