Subject: Re: bug#75379: 30.0.93; project-find-regexp expects "C" or "en" locale

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 03:55:51 +0200

On 05/01/2025 23:22, Matthias Meulien wrote:
> 
> I am not familiar with all grep options but I saw that:
> 
> ‘-I’
>       Process a binary file as if it did not contain matching data; this
>       is equivalent to the ‘--binary-files=without-match’ option.
> 
> Just tested
> 
>    (setq xref-search-program-alist '((grep . "xargs -0 grep <C> --null - 
> snHE -I -e <R>"))
> 
> and it works fine on my side.

Thanks, this is a solid proposal, but as per comment:

                  ;; TODO: Show these matches as well somehow?

we would probably want to print these weird matches as well, in the 
future. As you mention, search programs have a flag which avoids 
printing these matches, but in certain rare cases it might happen that a 
mostly text file is detected as binary - and then it seems preferable to 
print all of such matches in the buffer rather than ignore them. (Unless 
people disagree?)

And yeah, it's an old comment, so this improvement is not high on the 
list, but whenever we (I/you/anybody else) get around to implementing 
it, we'd have to change the default entries in xref-search-program-alist 
again - and these get customized by users over the years, which means 
not everybody would get the fix together with the package's or Emacs's 
update. So a fix using other means would be better if feasible.