Subject: Re: [bug#75375] [PATCH v1 1/2] teams: gnome: Add gnome-manifest.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2025 11:56:57 +0900

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> THIS IS A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT MANIFEST THAT UPDATES EVERYTHING UNDER THE
> GNOME UMBRELLA, I.E. INCLUDING "WORLD" PACKAGES THAT FOLLOW A DIFFERENT
> VERSIONING SCHEME, SOME OF WHICH ARE MORE EXPERIMENTAL THAN GNOME
> ITSELF.  

RIGHT, IT COVERS EVERYTHING.  I GUESS IT'D BE NICE TO HAVE A
GNOME-OTHERS-MANIFEST.SCM TO UPDATE ALL THE NON-CORE GNOME PACKAGES.
THAT'D REQUIRE SUBSTRACTING THE CORE PACKAGES FROM THE ONES FOUND BY THE
CATCHALL MANIFEST.

>> THE COMMENT WITH --TARGET-VERSION=48 (PARTIAL VERSION) DEPENDS ON A
>> COMPLETE BUT UNRELEASED FEATURE (I'LL PUBLISH IT SOON), THAT ENABLES
>> TO DO SO.
> I'M NOT SURE HOW USEFUL THIS FEATURE WILL BE, GIVEN THAT THE GNOME-
> METAPACKAGE REFERS TO PACKAGES WITH DIFFERENT VERSIONING SCHEMES
> ALREADY.  I DO THINK WE NEED A WAY TO DISTINGUISH UNSTABLE VERSIONS FOR
> THOSE PACKAGES THAT STILL FOLLOW THE OLD VERSIONING SCHEME AS WELL.

RIGHT.  I DIDN'T HAVE TOO HIGH HOPES IT'D BE USEFUL, BUT FOR MANY
PACKAGES TRACKING AT LEAST THE MAJOR VERSIONS IT COULD BE USEFUL (AND
FAIL WITHOUT PROBLEM FOR THE OTHERS -- OR SO IT SHOULD).

>> I'M ALSO NOT SURE OF THE MERIT OF SEPARATING EXTENSIONS FROM OTHER
>> GNOME PACKAGES?
> THE IDEA IS THAT WITH A RECENT ENOUGH GNOME-SHELL UPDATING THE
> EXTENSIONS CAN BE DONE WITH A SINGLE COMMAND, WITHOUT AFFECTING OTHER
> PACKAGES.  SINCE EXTENSIONS DON'T HAVE COMMON VERSIONS, IT ONLY EVER
> MAKES SENSE TO PULL THE LATEST WHEN GNOME-SHELL IS THE LATEST AS WELL
> (OR AT LEAST CLOSE TO IT).

OK.  THIS REASONING SHOULD BE ENSHRINED AS A COMMENT IN THAT MANIFEST,
FOR OUR FUTURE SELVES AND NEW GNOME TEAM MEMBERS TO KNOW.

WITH THAT COMMENT ADDED, THAT'S A LGTM FROM ME.

Reviewed-by: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail>

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim