Subject: bug#75361: closed (Re: bug#75361: 31.0.50; run-with-idle-timer not working unless there is some activity)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 21:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75361: 31.0.50; run-with-idle-timer not working unless there is some activity

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75361: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75361
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75361: 31.0.50; run-with-idle-timer not working unless there is some activity
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2025 15:28:06 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 75361 notabug
> thanks
>
>> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2025 01:30:03 +0300
>>
>>
>> The function is not working unless there is some activity. I remember it
>> worked well in past, do not know what changed.
>>
>> (defun my-message ()
>>     (message (format-time-string "%T Hello")))
>>
>> (run-with-idle-timer 10 t 'my-message)
>>
>> >From that point I will see one hello message but if I do not touch
>> anything it will not repeat.
>
> That's expected.  From the ELisp manual:
>
>      Emacs becomes “idle” when it starts waiting for user input (unless it
>   waits for input with a timeout, *note Reading One Event::), and it
>   remains idle until the user provides some input.  If a timer is set for
>   five seconds of idleness, it runs approximately five seconds after Emacs
>   first becomes idle.  Even if REPEAT is non-‘nil’, this timer will not
>   run again as long as Emacs remains idle, because the duration of
>   idleness will continue to increase and will not go down to five seconds
>   again.
>
>> That is bug.
>>
>> It should be repeating the message each 10 seconds.
>
> See above: your expectations are incorrect.
>
> This is not a bug.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 31.0.50; run-with-idle-timer not working unless there is some activity
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2025 01:30:03 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The function is not working unless there is some activity. I remember it
worked well in past, do not know what changed.

(defun my-message ()
    (message (format-time-string "%T Hello")))

(run-with-idle-timer 10 t 'my-message)

>From that point I will see one hello message but if I do not touch
anything it will not repeat.

That is bug.

It should be repeating the message each 10 seconds.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-12-05 built on lco2
Repository revision: 25b4bf7fcd75564f23b2e60e29e8ff7354186371
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-native-compilation=yes
 --with-tree-sitter --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-print debug
backtrace find-func misearch multi-isearch cl-extra shortdoc
text-property-search comp-common rx help-fns byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile radix-tree help-mode leuven-dark-theme cus-theme cus-edit
pp cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117793 13718) (symbols 48 9320 2) (strings 32 26053 2808)
 (string-bytes 1 732164) (vectors 16 13753)
 (vector-slots 8 184380 13787) (floats 8 123 18) (intervals 56 540 20)
 (buffers 992 15))

-- 
Jean Louis