Subject: bug#75355: [PATCH 1/1] Improve comment cycling in log-edit

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2025 03:00:41 +0100

Hello Sean,

> - I now agree with adding a default binding, but let's just rebind
>   C-x C-s, like how C-x C-s in Gnus messages is rebound to save a
>   draft?

I think I used C-c C-s, both here and in Magit, because all the other
log-edit/git-commit commands, which use a prefix, use this prefix.
Since log-edit did not have a binding for this until now, it is a
good time to reconsider the binding.

> - I think the code in log-edit-buffer-comment is too Git-specific to go
>   in log-edit.el.

It would be a good idea to add a dedicated function.  It doesn't have to
do the proposed git-specific things, but it would be nice to be able to
provide one's own implementation, using an override advice.  You could
add a log-edit-buffer-comment-function option, but that would probably
be overkill until we know that there are users who actually want to
override the default.

> - On the other hand, the changes to log-edit-previous-comment are more
>   general, and I think we should install those.

Yay! ;D

> - There is already log-edit-remember-comment.  It seems like some or all
>   of your log-edit-save-comment should be integrated into
>   log-edit-remember-comment.

I did not notice this command exists; probably I only searched for
"save", not also "remember" or any other synonym.  Yes, it makes more
sense to replace the current implementation, instead of adding a new
implementation under a new name.

> How does this sound?

Sounds reasonable.