Subject: Re: bug#75355: [PATCH 1/1] Improve comment cycling in log-edit

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 07:36:53 +0800

Hello,

On Thu 13 Feb 2025 at 01:48am -08, Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> - I think some people might prefer not to have their half-written
>>   comment saved.  What do you think about doing everything in entries in
>>   log-edit-save-comment-hook, so that someone could customise that to
>>   remove the default behaviour, if they wanted?  Or perhaps a simple
>>   boolean defcustom to turn this new behaviour on and off.
>
> What would be the use case for not saving it?  IIUC, this is anyways
> just saved in memory, so is there any real drawback to just keeping it
> there?  If you don't care, you don't care, so to speak.

If M-p unexpectedly scrolls you into your half-finished comment instead
of into one you expect, you might hit C-c C-c before you realise and
create a broken commit.

I think sometimes one knows what the latest entry of one's comment ring
is (e.g. when you know you *just* cancelled a commit) and so it would be
jarring if M-p produced something else.

-- 
Sean Whitton